8.13.2010

Your next stop, the Twilight...



Zone

It was Michael Jordan who helped popularize the term known as the "zone." That mental level of focus where you're able block out all the noise and any other distracting factor in your head that might prevent you from seeing the goal that is ahead of you.

I've kinda' been in the zone lately. I don't at all mean to suggest that I am anywhere near the level of those whose mental discipline truly allows them to function there. But I can...feel it. More than I have in a long, long time.

The image posted above is somethin' I ran across going through some old books in the Google archives a few days ago. I just printed it out and put in on the wall next to my desk because I thought it was cool. But each time I glanced over at, I felt inspired to just sit and play around in my head for a while.

It didn't take long for me to realize that I needed to start writin' down some of ideas that were quickly stacking up in my brain case. And over the past several days, those ideas have taken me to a good place.

My original intention was to post a preview of what I've been working on, but the draft version is on the computer that I use at work. [Shrug]

What I can say is that it's called "Metal Messiahs," and I'm having a ball on working it. It's pretty funny to hear myself say that, too, because for the first two days the article had me seriously questionin' why I even bother to call myself a writer.

But I've worked through most of the rough spots, and I'm having fun with the writing. It allows me to again put on the hat of a cultural anthropologist -- which feels more and more comfortable each time I put in on.

Okay, enough blogging. Time to get back into...

No comments: